Job description & primary responsibilities.
- Herdsmen are responsible for planning and directing all production phases on the farm and implement processes as required. They must be able to have both people management and animal care skills.
- Provide daily leadership and direction to all farm staff.
- Work with veterinarian to determine treatment of sick/injured animals
- Implementing action plans to meet farm-specific and company-set goals, communicating with the service manager and veterinarians to ensure heard health, being in compliance with all bio-security protocols.
- Monitor and follow-up on every aspect of animal productivity.
- Ordering feed, supplies and equipment for the farm, herd and employees.
- Providing daily leadership and direction to all farm staff, conducting team meetings to communicate the goals and direction of the farm.
- Ensuring all safety procedures are in place and take action to lower safety incidents.
- Assisting with the breeding of sows, gestation and farrowing of pigs.
- Providing development opportunities for employees, training new employees on feeding, handling and other duties.
- Tour all farm departments daily with supervisors.
- Maintaining active communications with the production recruiter to inform of staffing needs, managing feed and medication inventory and supply, and keeping thorough records of vaccinations, illness, medications, breeding, etc.
- Agriculture Education or a bachelor’s degree in animal science.
- Minimum 1-2 years experience in swine production required
- Must have good organization skills.
- Must have good leadership skills.
- Must have general computer knowledge.
- Understand and be responsible for animal production capability and take action to prevent performance loss.
- Good communication skills (Verbal and Written)
- Ability to read and understand company communications in English and apply them in the workplace.
- Ability to utilize math to calculate performance for production and financial performance.
- Must be on call to work in emergency situations such as power outages or personnel shortages.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Valid Driving License.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation for labor and supervisory personnel at the farm site.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.