Last Updated on
Intern is classed as a worker. Workers are entitled to certain employment rights, including:
- The right to access to amenities (like toilets or a lunch room).
- The right to annual leave, sick leave and holiday pay.
- The right to public holidays.
- The right to join a union.
- You should receive proper training.
- You shouldn’t be treated differently because you’re an apprentice, trainee or intern.
- You should get paid for time you spend at training.
- You must receive a pay slip to cover full details of the pay for each pay period.
- Being provided with any equipment or clothing you need for work.
- Not being expected to work overtime.
- The right to a safe and healthy work environment.
You should be proactive, take initiative and know what your rights are. You have to be your own advocate